www.txrrhistory.com - Tower 86 - Houston (Magers)
Crossing of the Houston Belt & Terminal (HB&T) Railway and the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio (GH&SA) Railway
Railroad Commission records show that Tower 86 was established on April 19, 1911 to control a 12-function mechanical interlocker at the crossing of the Houston Belt & Terminal (HB&T) Railway and the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio (GH&SA) Railway in east Houston. The HB&T line ran from HB&T's North Yard to northeast Houston providing access to Texas & New Orleans (T&NO) and Gulf Coast Lines (GCL) routes east to Beaumont and New Orleans. The GH&SA line was a northerly extension of the original Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad main line from Tower 30 northwest to a crossing of Buffalo Bayou, continuing on to T&NO's Englewood Yard. Tower 86 was approximately two miles north of Tower 85, which took over the control of the interlocker for the Tower 86 junction in 1960. Control of the interlockers for both junctions was eventually consolidated into Tower 199 at Settegast Yard.
Currently, an automatic interlocker equipment cabinet with '86' on the
side is present at the site of Tower 86.
Modern Photo of Interlocker 86 (Jim King, December 2006)
Satellite Image, Tower 86 Site
Tower 86 Location Map
Last Revised: 1/17/2007 JGK - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.