WALLIS, TEXAS. Wallis is at the junction of the Southern Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads ten miles southeast of Sealy in extreme southeastern Austin County. Anglo-American settlement on the narrow strip of land west of the Brazos and east of the San Bernard River began in the late 1830s. The community was first known as Bovine Bend, and a post office by that name was established in 1873. After 1880, when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway constructed its Galveston-Brenham spur through the vicinity, the settlement became known as Wallis Station, in honor of J. E. Wallis, director of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe. The name of the post office was changed to Wallis Station in 1886 and to Wallis in 1911.
The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway, building east from Kenedy toward Houston, reached Wallis Station in 1887.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online