EASTLAND, TEXAS. Eastland, the county seat of Eastland County, is at the intersection of State highways 6 and 69, northwest of Interstate Highway 80 on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in the central part of the county.
In 1875 Jacamiah S. Daugherty and Charles U. Connellee purchased land on the C. S. Betts survey and platted a townsite. County voters opted to move the county seat from Merriman to the newly platted site, as it was closer to the center of the county, and the new community was named Eastland.
Connellee, Daugherty, J. B. Ammerman, and others built a stone courthouse, and the county commissioners court held its first session in the town in September of 1875. By January of 1876 the population was estimated at 250.
The city's growth was assured when, in 1880, the Texas and
Pacific Railway was given a number of town lots to build through
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online