The above images are of the Denison Union Depot, which is still standing in Denison. Below is a rear view of this same depot.
The below depots are both labled as "Denison Union" depots. It is unclear where these depots stood or exactly what happened to them. If you have any information, please contact us.
DENISON, TEXAS. Denison is on U.S. highways 75 and 69 seven miles north of Sherman in northeastern Grayson County. In the early 1870s William Benjamin Munson, Sr., and R. S. Stevens bought land in the area and prepared for the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad (the Katy). The townsite was laid out in the summer of 1872 and named for the vice president of the Katy, George Denison. The first train arrived on Christmas Eve.
The town had over 3,000 residents by the summer of 1873, when it incorporated. Although Main Street appeared to be an orderly collection of businesses, the surrounding area consisted of a tent city, inhabited by bars, gambling halls, and houses of prostitution. On February 6, 1873, Denison established the first free public school in Texas.
In addition to the tracks of the MKT, the town also became
a stop on the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas and the Kansas,
Oklahoma and Gulf railroads. Five additional rail lines that connected
Denison with other communities in North Texas were chartered between
the late 1870s and 1900, including the first interurban electric
line between Denison and Sherman in 1896.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online
Last Revised: 09/30/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.