CAMERON, TEXAS (Milam County). Cameron, the county seat of Milam County, is at the intersection of U.S. highways 77 and 190, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad fourteen miles north of Rockdale in the north central part of the county.
In April 1846 the Texas Legislature authorized a seven-member commission to find a permanent site for the Milam county seat. The commission purchased a sixty-acre tract of Daniel Monroe's headright on the Little River later that year and named the new town Cameron, in honor of Ewen Cameron The new town struggled in its early years because of its isolation, the nearest railroad being more than fifty miles away
In 1881 the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway arrived; the San Antonio and Aransas Pass came through the town ten years later
Unfortunately, Cameron suffered setbacks when the Texas and
New Orleans discontinued its track from Cameron south to Giddings
in 1959, and again in 1977, when the Southern Pacific, which had
taken over the Texas and New Orleans, abandoned its track from
Cameron north to Rosebud.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online