Texas Railroad History - Tower 62 - Mineola

A Crossing of the Texas & Pacific Railway and the Missouri Kansas Texas Railway

Tower 62 stood in Mineola at the crossing of the Texas and Pacific (T&P) Railway and the Missouri Kansas Texas ("Katy") Railway. The T&P main goes from Texarkana to Dallas. The Katy was a branch line from Greenville to Mineola. Locally this Katy line was known as "The Plug".  The concrete base for the tower still exists on the west edge of Mineola. It is about 1/4 mile west of Cheek Street, the last grade crossing westbound from downtown before the T&P (now Union Pacific) yard in Mineola.

Historic Painting and Photo of Tower 62

In 1970, Earl Aldridge painted Tower 62 (below left) from a photo. Fortunately, after a significant search, the photo (below right) was located in 2015. The date incorporated into the painting, December 9, 1887, either reflects artistic license or perhaps the photo had an incorrect date written on it. The tower was not built until 1905, and was commissioned for service on December 12 of that year.

This painting (left) now resides in the Mineola Public Library. The photo it was based on (right) was eventually located in the archives
 of the Mineola Area Chamber of Commerce by the Chamber director and provided to us by Jeanne Johnson May.

Above: West face (left) and south face (right) of the foundation of Tower 62. (photos by Myron Malone)

Location Map - Tower 62


Last Revised: 08/01/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.