txrrhistory.com - Tower 28 - Texarkana
A Crossing of the Texas & Pacific Railway and the Texarkana
& Fort Smith Railway
Historic Photo of Tower 28
Tower 28 resided at what was originally a crossing of the Texas & Pacific
(T&P) Railway and the Texarkana & Ft. Smith (T&FS) Railway on the south side of
Texarkana, Texas. It was commissioned for operation on October 20, 1903. The T&P
was the first to arrive, opening 74 miles of track between Texarkana and
Marshall in 1873 as it began efforts to fulfill its charter to build a
trans-continental line from east Texas to San Diego, California. In 1896, the T&FS
built 24 miles of track south from Texarkana to the state line as part of Arthur
Stilwell's larger effort to build from Kansas City to Port Arthur. The T&FS had
originally built north from Texarkana toward Fort Smith, Arkansas, but Stilwell
acquired control in 1892 and amended the charter to allow the T&FtS to build
south to the Gulf of Mexico as a subsidiary of the Kansas City, Pittsburg and
Gulf Railroad. Stilwell's line to the Gulf from Kansas City opened in
1897, but by 1900, he had lost control of the railroad and it was bought by the
newly chartered Kansas City Southern (KCS) Railway, which continues to operate
the route today. The T&P route passed through ownership of the Missouri Pacific
Railroad to become a major line for Union Pacific Railroad.
Above: The crossing guarded by Tower 28 was on
the property of the International Creosoting & Construction
Company. The crossing is at the intersection of the two rail
lines visible on the right side of the photo. Click on
the photo for a much
larger view of this panoramic image.
Below: The creosote works was eventually owned by the
view is looking south down
the KCS Main. The T&P crosses left
to right. There is also a lead into the tie plant that crosses
left to right parallel
to the T&P. Both diamond crossings
would have been controlled by the operator of Tower 28.
Modern Photos - Tower 28 Site
Concrete bunker to the left is the automatic interlocker cabinet
that replaced the tower interlocker. KCS main line trails
away in the distance. Lead into the tie plant is in foreground
and the now UP main line is behind the cabin.
Site of Tower 28 is about where the short sections of rail are
next to the weeds. No evidence of the tower foundation is visible
in this area. Diamond crossing of the two main lines is in the
A green flag beckons southbound KCS trains after they
the UP diamond at the site of Tower 28.
The interlocking cabinet that now controls the crossing.