txrrhistory.com - Depot - Wharton, Texas

Photo courtsey of The Wharton, TX Depot Restoration Committee, William Loocke, Co-Chairman.

For additional photos of the above depot, and a historical breif about the depot and the adjacent rail line, see the City of Wharton, TX website.

For additional infomation about the restoration effort see the website of the Wharton, TX Depot Restoration Committee.

WHARTON, TEXAS. Wharton, the county seat of Wharton County, is on the east bank of the lower Colorado River, forty-five miles from the Gulf of Mexico. It was part of the Caney Run mail route established by the Republic of Texas in 1838. The community was named after two leaders in the struggle for Texas independence, brothers John and William Wharton. The plantation community was first settled in 1846 by some of Stephen F. Austin's original colonists, and a post office was established in 1847. The first lieutenant governor of Texas, Albert Horton, was an early settler.

The New York, Texas and Mexican Railway was the first railroad to arrive at Wharton in 1881, followed by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe in 1899. These two railroads brought a new influx of settlers, increasing the population to 1,689 in 1900 and 2,346 in 1920.

Text from the Handbook of Texas Online


Last Revised: 09/30/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.