WALLER, TEXAS. Waller is on U.S. Highway 290 forty miles northwest of Houston in eastern Waller and northwestern Harris counties. K. H. Faulkner filed a plat on January 11, 1884, to establish the town, which was named for Edwin Waller. Within the first month of the town's existence a post office was set up, and a short time later "Uncle Doc" Sanders opened Waller's first general store.
The Galveston hurricane of 1900 badly damaged many buildings, including the college, which was closed and never rebuilt.
Although Waller was a stop on the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, there was no local transportation for visitors and salesmen arriving by rail until Ed and Bob Robertson opened a livery stable in the early part of the twentieth century.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online