PECOS, TEXAS. Pecos, the county seat of Reeves County, is on the western bank of the Pecos River, U.S. highways 80 and 285, Interstate Highway 20, and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, in the east central part of the county. It was established in the nineteenth century on the east side of the river as a camp for cattle drives up the river. In the 1880s the town was moved to the west side of the river and a plat was filed.
However, a clear title to the land could not be secured. George
A. Knight, who owned title to the section of land upon which the
town was platted, offered the Texas and Pacific Railway a location
for a depot and a gift of several town blocks. The railroad accepted
his offer and built its tracks through the area in 1881. The town
was called first Pecos Station, then Pecos City, and finally Pecos.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online