PAIGE, TEXAS. Paige is on U.S. Highway 290 forty-four miles east of Austin in northeast Bastrop County. The Old San Antonio Road, now State Highway 21, borders the north side.
Paige was established at the site of a railroad water tower on the newly built Houston and Texas Central Railway in 1872 and named for Norman Paige, a civil engineer, who had laid out the route of the railway.
In 1874 a post office was established. In 1876 the railway station was moved three miles east to its present location. Fedor Soder arrived in 1877, built a store and a gin, and purchased and sold many town lots to other Germans; the population is still primarily German. In 1884 Paige reported a population of 350 and several businesses, including seven cotton gins.
During World War II the population began to decline again,
partially as a result of the decrease in cotton production. In
1952 the town reported eight businesses and a population of 220.
In 1981 the Hou-Tex Oil Company drilled for gas near Paige and
connected its well to the Giddings-Bastrop pipeline. In 1982 a
volunteer fire department was established and the Paige Community
Center was incorporated. In 1990 Paige reported four businesses
and had a population of 275.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online