MILES, TEXAS. Miles, on U.S. Highway 67, Farm Road 2872, and the Santa Fe Railroad, in southwestern Runnels County, was named for settler Jonathan Miles, who donated $5,000 for the extension of the railroad from Ballinger to San Antonio.
The town has also been known as Miles City. It had a population
of 814 in 1940. Its restored opera house was placed on the National
Register in 1976, and other buildings, including the old country
store, are being restored. Miles had a population of 739 in 1950
and nineteen businesses and 650 people in 1960. It had a post
office, a bank, several businesses, and a population of 720 in
1980. In 1990 the population was 793.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online