KERRVILLE, TEXAS. Kerrville, the county seat of Kerr County, is sixty-two miles northwest of San Antonio on Interstate Highway 10, at the junction of Texas Highways 16 and 27. The original settlement, named for James Kerr and situated on a bluff north of the Guadalupe River in the eastern half of the county, grew from a successful shinglemakers' camp into a mercantile and shipment center for the middle and upper Hill Country, and eventually into a medical, recreational, professional, cultural, and, to some extent, educational hub for parts of a five-to-seven county area.
In 1887 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway reached Kerrville,
and in 1889 the town incorporated, with an aldermanic form of
city government. The Kerrville Water Works Company began to provide
water for town dwellers in 1894, telephone service was introduced
in 1896, and the city began to pave streets in 1912.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online