GUNTER, TEXAS (Grayson County). Gunter is at the intersection of State Highway 289 and Farm Road 121, twelve miles southwest of Sherman in south central Grayson County. One of the later towns to be established in Grayson County, Gunter received a post office in 1898 and was organized as a community in 1902 when the tracks of the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway reached the area. The town's namesake, John Gunter, a cattleman and surveyor, donated land for the townsite. The arrival of the railroad established Gunter as a retail and community center for area farmers.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online