GANADO, TEXAS. Ganado, on U.S Highway 59 nine miles east of Edna, is the second largest town in Jackson County. Its position on the Southern Pacific Railroad made it a shipping and retail center for eastern Jackson County. An informal cluster of cabins at the site was originally called Mustang Settlement, after Mustang Creek. In 1881-82 the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was built through the area near Mustang Settlement. Viewing a large body of cattle from his rail car window, an official of the company remarked that the place should be called Ganado-Spanish for "herd." The name stuck; the railroad erected the Ganado station later that year, and the town grew up around it.
Last Revised: 09/30/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.