ETTER, TEXAS. Etter, on U.S. Highway 287 in northern Moore County, was established as a stop on the North Plains and Santa Fe Railroad in 1930 and was named for W. K. Etter, a vice president of the road. Later the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway intersected the Santa Fe at this point.
In 1940 Etter comprised the railroad switch, three businesses,
and a reported population of 150. When the Cactus industrial community
was established to the north in 1942, Etter's businesses and many
of its residents were absorbed into the new town. In 1980 and
1990 Etter reported a population of 160. Also see information
and Tower 175 on the Texas
Interlocking Tower web site.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online