UNION TERMINAL COMPANY. The Union Terminal Company was chartered on March 16, 1912, as part of a project to secure a union station for the seven railroads then serving Dallas. By 1916 the company built five miles of track within Dallas, and the terminal building was opened in October of that year. In 1926 the company owned one locomotive.
The original owners of the Union Terminal company, each with an one-eighth interest, were the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf; Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe; Houston and Texas Central; Missouri, Kansas and Texas of Texas; St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas; St. Louis Southwestern of Texas; Texas and Pacific; and Trinity and Brazos Valley. In 1925 the Fort Worth and Denver City acquired the interest owned by the Trinity and Brazos Valley. The presidency of the company alternated among the railroads.
The last regular passenger train operated by a private railroad departed the terminal on May 31, 1969, and the Union Terminal Company was abandoned as of March 13, 1974. The headhouse and other facilities were sold to the City of Dallas, and the station is currently used by Amtrak.
(Note: The below company should not be confused with the above company. They were two different entites.)
DALLAS TERMINAL RAILWAY. The Dallas Terminal Railway and Union Depot Company was chartered on December 10, 1894, to build north from Dallas for twenty miles to a connection with the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas between Plano and Fort Worth. The capital was $500,000, and the business office was in Dallas. Members of the first board of directors included Alexander Sanger, Royal A. Ferris, W. C. Connor, J. C. O'Connor, E. M. Reardon, Barnett Gibbs, and J. E. Schneider, all of Dallas.
Earlier businessmen of Dallas had offered the Cotton Belt, then operating as the Texas and St. Louis, cash, land, and right-of-way to extend its line from Mount Pleasant to Dallas by April 1, 1884. The Cotton Belt could not meet this deadline and, in fact, bypassed Dallas and built to Fort Worth. The Dallas Terminal Railway charter authorized it to build a belt line around Dallas and a connecting road to the Cotton Belt track in Fort Worth. For several years the company retained its charter but laid no track. Finally, between 1893 and 1896 it laid four miles of industrial track in Dallas.
In 1899 the name of the company was changed to Dallas, Fort Worth and Gulf Railway Company, and the plan to build a line to Fort Worth was revived. Two miles of additional track was laid. In 1901 the company was purchased by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway to provide terminal facilities at Dallas for its Texas subsidiary.
The charter was again amended when the company's original name was restored. A passenger depot was built in 1903, and track was laid connecting with all Dallas railroads. In 1916, when Union Depot opened, the Dallas Terminal passenger depot was closed.
In 1953 the Interstate Commerce Commission authorized the St.
Louis Southwestern Railway Company to lease and operate the company's
properties, and Dallas Terminal Railway and Union Depot Company
became a nonoperating lessor. In 1994 it was merged into the St.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online
Last Revised: 09/30/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.