BAIRD, TEXAS. Baird, at the junction of Interstate Highway 20 and U.S. Highway 283 in north central Callahan County, was established when the Texas and Pacific Railway came through in 1880. It was named for railroad surveyor and engineer Matthew Baird. The community was a division point on the railroad, with a depot, roundhouse, and repair shops. It replaced Belle Plain as county seat in 1883 and gained most of the former county seat's population.