ALVIN, TEXAS. Alvin is twelve miles southeast of Houston in northeast Brazoria County, on land originally granted to the Houston Tap and Brazoria Railroad. In the 1860s
The Santa Fe Railroad established a flag station near the head of Mustang Slough on its Galveston-to-Richmond branch line. Santa Fe hired Alvin Morgan in 1872 to supervise the loading and shipping of cattle at the stock pens. Morgan built the first house in the area in 1879 and persuaded many travelers to settle there.
In 1881 the settlement acquired a post office, and the residents
named the community Morgan but renamed it Alvin upon learning
of another Morgan, Texas. City folklore recalls Morgan's inseparable
companions-a dog, a goose, and a white buzzard. Alvin was incorporated
in 1891 and again in 1893.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online
Last Revised: 09/30/2005 - Contact the Texas Interlocking Towers Page.