ALMA, TEXAS. Alma is on U.S. Highway 75 four miles south of Ennis in southeastern Ellis County. The first settlers in the area arrived in the early 1840s. Among them was Thomas Smith, who bought a thousand acres of land beside a lake named Willow Pond. The Willow Pond site served as a stagecoach station between Waxahachie and Marshall. By 1872 the Houston and Texas Central Railway had come through. Around 1881 the settlement received a post office, named Alma, possibly after the daughter of a local banker.
Text from the Handbook of Texas Online